Updated 3/25/2020 at 3:03pm.
Democrat Governor Tom Wolf is ordering that all residents of Lehigh and Northampton counties remain in doors.
The addition of Lehigh and Northampton bring the total counties that Governor Wolf has under a stay-at-home order to ten. The other counties under this order are Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Erie, Monroe, Montgomery and Philadelphia.
The order goes into effect 8pm Wednesday evening.
As of Wednesday, Pennsylvania has 1,127 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 11 deaths. 82 of those confirmed cases are in the Lehigh Valley as of 1pm on Wednesday.
Under the order, residents may leave their residence only for the following reasons:
- Tasks essential to maintain health and safety, or the health and safety of their family or household members (including pets), such as obtaining medicine or medical supplies, visiting a health care professional, or obtaining supplies they need to work from home
- Getting necessary services or supplies for themselves, for their family or household members, or as part of volunteer efforts, or to deliver those services or supplies to others to maintain the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences
- Engaging in outdoor activity, such as walking, hiking or running (if they maintain social distancing)
- To perform work providing essential products and services at a life-sustaining business
- To care for a family member or pet in another household
- Any travel related to the provision of or access to the above-mentioned individual activities or life-sustaining business activities
- Travel to care for elderly, minors, dependents, persons with disabilities, or other vulnerable persons
- Travel to or from educational institutions for purposes of receiving materials for distance learning, for receiving meals, and any other related services
- Travel to return to a place of residence from an outside jurisdiction
- Travel required by law enforcement or court order
- Travel required for non-residents to return to their place of residence outside the commonwealth
According to the Morning Call:
The order maintains the limits on business activity. Exceptions are made for:
- Life-sustaining business activities
- Health care or medical services providers
- Access to life-sustaining services for low-income residents, including food banks
- Access to child care services for employees of life-sustaining businesses that remain open as follows: child care facilities operating under the Department of Human Services, Office of Child Development and Early Learning waiver process; group and family child care operating in a residence; and part-day school age programs operating under an exemption from the March 19, 2020 business closure Orders
- News media
- Law enforcement
- The federal government
- Religious institutions
Restaurants can continue to offer take-out and delivery, which is permitted as a life-sustaining business.