President Donald Trump speaks during a coronavirus task force briefing at the White House, Sunday, April 5, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky).
During the White House Coronavirus Task Force briefing on Wednesday, President Trump continued his criticism of WHO and their response to the Coronavirus pandemic. President Trump also spoke of the need for drastic increases in contributions to WHO from other countries.
President Trump made it clear that the United States spends much more on WHO funding than other countries, including China.
President Trump said: “Last year, it was $452 million, and China paid $42 million.” He also went on to criticize the WHO for their slow response and appearing differential to China’s wishes in all its dealings.
“World Health got it wrong. I mean, they got it very wrong. In many ways, they were wrong,” Trump said. “They also minimized the threat very strongly and not good.”
President Trump then pointed to a statement from the WHO from January 14th that insisted there was no human to human transfer of the virus. A notion taken straight from Chinese propaganda at the time.
“Well, there was,” Trump said shortly.
The President said that his Administration was “criticized very badly” by the WHO for banning travel and people coming in from China.
President Trump went on to promise the United States will investigate the WHO’s handling of the Chinese coronavirus, while “holding back” on the funding.
“I think they have to get their priorities right,” Trump said. “And their priorities are that everybody has to be treated properly — every country. And it doesn’t seem that way, does it?”
Watch the segment from the briefing below:
Video begins at 33:25, you can also watch the briefing in it’s entirety.
April 9th, 2020